Can't log in after the update of your Linux Mint with Petra Backports ?
Don't forget to read the other tips:
After the update i shot down my PC, and the following day i couldn't log in and got
"There was an error loading the theme XXXXXX"
And no way to log or anything
Here is the Workaround :
- Press ctrl+alt+F1 to switch to the console
- Log in
- Then type sudo killall mdm
- and startx
- Cinnamon will start correctly (we've just bypassed the login window)
if not done yet, make sure mint-meta-cinnamon , mint-mdm-themes are installed, and ubuntu-system-adjustments is up-to-date.
==> you've got a somewhat working PC now, but you'll need to repeat the process at every boot
Now fixing the issue :
When the update was performed it erased the potentially custom theme we were using so mdm couldn't launch anything at boot ...
- Once in Cinnamon trying to start mdm in order to change the theme fails.
- Open /etc/mdm/mdm.conf as root
- Search for HTMLTheme= and GraphicalTheme=
- Change theses values to :
- Save the file, and reboot
- Log in, open mdm and choose the theme you want (html or gdm/gtk)
==> You've now recovered a fully working Linux Mint 13 with the Petra backports !
Alternate fix [source] :
- Delete your MDM configuration with the command: sudo rm -f /etc/mdm/mdm.conf
- Reset the MDM configuration with the command: sudo touch /etc/mdm/mdm.conf
- Reboot the computer